Are Your Living On Energy Drinks?
This is a subject too many people are experiencing and not realizing the potential health problems. If your day includes energy drinks, your diet is not unlike millions of Americans in today’s society. Everyone is trying so hard to do everything they can to find their way through this fast paced time of ours eating properly is too often not even an option. Energy drinks have slowly worked their way into our lives. It’s been happening over the last 25 years.
ENERGY DRINKS – Here in lies the dilemma. Sugar, caffeine and many other substances when used at times can be beneficial and give us energy, and allow you to feel better, have greater clarity, and be more alert and able to do things we would not normally be able to do for much longer periods of time. Unfortunately, it’s the human condition, if it feels good take more – Some people are prone to addiction or habitual activity and or others are not aware of the consequences of long term use. It doesn’t make you a bad person but it can create health problems you may be unaware of as you fall into the trap – more is better. How can it be bad, people sell it, it’s not illegal!
THE DOWNSIDE TO ENERGY DRINKS
There are plenty of studies you can read that document the facts, pros & cons. Here are the results I found:
• Habit Forming – Daily use of energy drinks becomes habit-forming. Not because the drink contents are addicting, it’s the extra energy derived from and perception it’s OK. The amount of other liquids (Water, etc.) lessens and you become dehydrated. The contents of the drink in addition to other substances you mix with the drink can cause dehydration over long periods of time such as alcohol. As you continue daily use you can’t help but want to drink more fluid with continued cravings for more liquids – so why not take another energy drink!
• Age Faster – When you eat or drink stimulants your heart speeds up blood flow lessens to capillaries, those small vessel located along the portion of the skin located just under the surface, as blood vessels constrict, decreasing extended circulation to some parts of your body and with long-term use it can hasten wrinkles. Hair loose and most of the natural aging processes speed up – it’s insidious (It happens so slowly it’s imperceptible, you can’t see it happen day-to-day.), and long-term use can create those and even more problems.
• Low in Nutritional Value – When you rely on your energy from energy drinks you lose your desire and hunger for real food limiting the nutrients available to your body throughout the day.
• Minimal Vitamin’s – Energy drinks have a minimum of vitamins and little or no food value.
• Cravings/Missing Meals – When you don’t eat food, (Sugar, caffeine, alcohol and nicotine are non-foods – having no nutritional value – in fact these foods overload the pancreas by causing it to overproduce insulin (Try mixing three of them and you have some real problems (Such as Coffee, donut and a cigarette as many people still do.) – producing too much insulin your blood sugar levels deplete and you begin to have cravings by mid-morning again in mid-afternoon and then evening you find yourself eating foods with too much sugar as you try to relieve the craving, until you’re too tired to eat any more and then you try to sleep.
• Loss of Sleep – Sleep is disturbed during the night as the body tries to use up all the sugar, caffeine, taurine and foods/or sweets taken in before bed. This leaves you even more tired than the day before (Remember your body needs between 300 and 500 calories, approximately just to keep your heart and other organs working through the night.). You then reach for, that’s right, another energy drink and it starts all over again. Substituting the drink for food then missing and becoming sleep deprived. By the way we build up our immune system and repair the body during deep sleep and without it the aging process is hastened eventually concentration ability starts to go down, irritability goes up.
Benefits of Drinking Energy Drinks – There are benefits to energy drinks. Taurine and Caffeine among other substances in energy drinks can and will help you to focus and give you additional energy and if you can limit yourself to one or two energy drinks and eating a normal diet and getting at least 6 to 8 hours of sleep a night, then more power to you. Yes you can get the energy drink benefits, eat healthy and have a good long life. – you just need to be aware of the potential problems and limit your intake and not making it a habit. How many people do you know that can take a good thing and not abuse it – Good luck with it – remember one or two once in a while. OK that’s it for now. We look forward to hearing from you on this and any other article.
All the information contained in this article and references to energy drinks can be found on the internet and will be made available to you by contacting us.
© 2012-2019 Denny Holmes “Fitness is your Life”